Have questions about documentation related to marriage? Start by learning about GA marriage records, marriage certificate and marriage license.
Do you need a marriage record if you have a marriage license from Georgia?
A marriage record and a marriage license are completely different. A GA marriage record is a confirmation maintained by the US government about marriages that have taken place on American soil. A marriage license is a written document allowing two individuals to get married. This record is generated after the nuptials are solemnized but a license has to be procured before the ceremony.
In fact, without a license, a marriage cannot take place. In order to get married, people have to submit an application for such a license in keeping with the rules of the state. This document is by no means a proof of marriage, but a marriage record is. In some states, the license copy is made a part of the marriage record, while in others, the record may just have the license number.
Does a marriage record from GA contain the details of a marriage certificate?
A marriage record may contain an uncertified informational copy of the marriage certificate. However, many states do not allow a marriage certificate to be added in the marriage records kept for public viewing. This is done to control misuse.
A marriage record will have all the details of a marriage certificate, but it cannot be used in place of the certificate for the simple reason that the certificate acts as a documentary proof. One can get access to marital benefits like insurance and property claims etc with the marriage certificate and not the record.
Is there any kind of restriction in terms of the people who can apply for a marriage license in GA?
You will have to remember a few thing when filing a request for the marriage license:
1. Neither of the parties to be married can have developmental disabilities as this would render an individual unable to offer informed consent.
2. Both the partners should have completed 18 years of age. In certain states, it is possible for individuals younger than 18 years to get married. However, this involves getting a written consent from the parents, and in certain areas, from the judge.
3. Typically, the individuals who intend to get married should not be related to each other directly. For example, siblings, parents, children or grand children cannot marry each other. In some states, it is possible to procure conditional approval for marriage between first cousins, if such an arrangement is sought due to the inability to have children.
What do you need to get a Georgia marriage license?
1. You need to submit a copy of a government photograph ID, like the drivers license. Also, you have to provide proof of age and citizenship, so the birth certificate will be needed along with the SSN.
2. Translation of documents in English incase the documents are in another language.
3. If one or both partners were married before, the final decree as proof of current single status is required.
4. Name change application for those who wish to change their name.
Can I apply online for a marriage license?
Not all states allow you to apply for a marriage license online. If you belong to a state that allows this, then you simply need to fill the application form and submit it. After the application is submitted, the couple seeking the license is expected to visit the office of the Registrar of Marriage and show the original documents for verification. Some states show consideration for couples who are working in different cities or states and allow one person to visit the office.
Details to be provided would include full names and age with date of birth of both the people, who are supposed to get married. You will also need to provide the documents mentioned above with the date of the final order in case of a divorce. The name of the man officiating the ceremony, the date and place where the ceremony would take place are also needed. Finally, you will have to pay the fee as per the state laws.
How much time does it take to get a marriage certificate in GA?
The procedure to get the marriage certificate involves getting the signatures of couple and the officiator on the marriage license after the ceremony. Two witnesses will also have to sign the document. Only after these two criteria have been fulfilled, can the officiator or the bride or groom file the marriage license and get a certificate.
However sometimes, if the officiator is busy with many marriages, he may miss the timeline as per the rules for submission of the license after the marriage. This means, you have to redo the whole documentation procedure by applying for a marriage license and filing it again for a certificate.
Correcting a mistake on a marriage certificate
It is not common to get a certificate with a spelling error in the name or wrong venue or date. In order to get the certificate corrected, take the certificate to the registrar’s office with the relevant documents, fill the form and pay the required fee. In 15-30 business days, you should receive a corrected marriage certificate.