How important is a court records search in Wisconsin

Got a bench warrant? Time to start looking at your court records from Wisconsin! Why should I keep a check on my court records?

If you have an ongoing legal dispute, it is imperative to keep a track of court records as you may not always be able to visit the court. There may be times when have to go out of town for a while or have to attend to domestic obligations, and a hearing may come up that you would have to miss. A missed hearing isn’t bad luck as long as it doesn’t create a reason for the issue of a warrant. Also, you don’t want a missed hearing to deprive you of an opportunity to voice your concerns or views on the case, in front of a judicial officer.


Where should I go for a court records search in WI?

Court records are available at the clerk of court’s office. You can view the records for free but you will have to pay a small amount for a copy of the record. However, don’t expect to receive a copy of the criminal record unless it’s your own. Civil case files, unless they involve a lot of financial data, are usually given to anyone with a valid reason, like research or investigation in related cases.

You can also get this record online from courts that maintain the records on their websites. Few states allow non-government sources to access this information. If you are keen to find this information online you should try logging into PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records).


Is PACER available only to law enforcement agencies?

No, PACER is available to everyone. The name is an acronym for the purpose this facility is supposed to serve. It is quite easy to get records on PACER and most basic services like viewing a record are reasonably charged. To know more let’s take a look at the service fee list, which is divided into four categories:


1. Service Center:
a. Reproduction of a PACER account record is available for $ 0.50.
b. Search per name is done for $30.
c. Service fee payment bounces are charged at $53.


2. Electronic Access:
a. Search of court docket is charged at $ 0.10 per page till 30 pages.
b. Same charges are applicable for the use of PACER case locator.
c. Audio files are charged at $2.40 for each file.


3. Copies:
Copying charge per page is $.10.


4. Free access and people in the exemption list:
Court records can be accessed for free at the public terminals. Also, judicial opinions cannot be charged. There are some people who are exempted from the service fee. They are trustees of bankrupt trusts, obviously pro bono attorneys and judicial and law enforcement officers.


Can I get all the information about my case in a court docket from Wisconsin?

If you are only looking for the status of the case and a brief on the past activities of the case then a court docket should serve the purpose. A court docket mostly has “on-the-go” information, like the case number, case status, with hearings done and the next hearing date, the stage of the case and the name of the attorney.


Can I view my friend’s juvenile son’s drug abuse court records through PACER?

You cannot access court records involving juveniles as they are kept confidential to protect the identity of the individuals. Other instances of confidential files include financial data, information on domestic violence victims, data on people in the witness protection program, drug and substance abuse details like lab reports admitted as evidence and adoption information.


Does the clerk of court’s office give hard copies of all the case documents?

You can get hard copies of all the documents that are not confidential for $.0.10 per page. However, it will help to know about the tribunal that is hearing or has heard the matter that you are interested in. Take a look at the judicial hierarchy to understand how a case progresses through the legal system.


Types of Court Houses:

1. Trial Courts- As the name suggests, these courts handle most civil and criminal cases in a given location.

2. Appellate Courts – They range from first circuit to eleventh circuit and the District of Columbia circuit.

3. Supreme Court of the United States- This is the highest judicial entity in the country.

4. Federal Courts with Original Jurisdiction – They deal with matters like tax, international trade, patents, federal claims, foreign intelligence, bankruptcy, trademark and alien terrorist removal.

5. Courts with Appellate Jurisdiction – They handle matters related to the armed forces, federal circuits, civil contracts, postal service contracts, veteran’s appeal, immigration appeals, dispute resolution in acquisition cases and the military commission review.


How is a WI court record different from an arrest or criminal record?

The difference lies in the extent of information offered. A criminal record would have details of the arrests, crimes committed and the jail sentences completed or being served. It would not have as much information on the court proceedings as the court records.


Similarly, an arrest record will have a lot of details related to the number of times the suspect was arrested, arrest booking done at the time and the prisons the suspect was housed at. Again, this record will not have detailed information about the hearings or the evidence admitted or the judicial opinions.


Can I get a court record corrected for errors?

You can get your court record corrected by visiting the clerk of the court’s office, where the judicial proceeding was conducted. You will have to mention the error and provide supporting documents to make the request valid.

DISCLAIMER: is a privately owned website. The data received from this website is in no way or sense endorsed by any government body. is also not a consumer reporting agency. As such, the data received should not be used for any purpose that calls for FCRA compliance. You also cannot use the information from this website for unlawful activities. The data available may be inaccurate/incomplete/outdated. Please make your own investigation and do not rely on the information. We make no representation/warranty regarding the accuracy of any info found on this website. The owners of the website may receive payment if you register with our partner/external websites for subscription only services/data. cannot be held responsible for the conduct of external providers nor for the quality of the data/service provided by them. Please read our Terms and Conditions.